If you love candles just like we do, you probably have a few (or many) spread out around your home in every single room. They’re truly great to have around for various reasons: a clean scented home, relaxation, cozy vibe, and even some health benefits. As simple as it is to light a candle, there is a correct way to care for your candle to get the most out of them. Here are a few easy tips that may help you, as well as some safety tips that you need to know.
Before you even light your candle, you need to find a safe place to set it down. Be sure to place the candle in an area that isn’t near objects that can catch fire easily such as books, paper, drapes, bedding, flammable decorations, etc. If you have kids or pets, or if you are having company over, make sure the candles are out of reach.
When burning a few candles near each other at the same time, make sure they are at least three inches apart so that they don’t create a draft and burn improperly. Always place a candle in a room that is well-ventilated and avoid vents and air currents as they will cause the candles to burn unevenly.
Tips for Proper Lighting
A long wick will most likely create a large flame, which can be dangerous and can even start a fire. Before burning a candle, make sure the wick is about ¼ inch to prevent this from happening. Use a long lighter or match to light the candle to avoid getting burned, especially if your candle is getting low.
The first time you light your candle, allow it to burn until the wax melts on the entire surface, from the wick to all sides of the candle. This will prevent the candle from creating a tunnel in the center and will ensure an even burn for the rest of the candle’s burn time. Each candle recommends the length of time a candle should burn. It is usually 2-4 hours, but make sure to not go past the time frame.
It is common for debris to get stuck in the wax, but they can easily catch the wick’s flame and produce unnecessary flames. Using a pair of tweezers, clear the debris from the wax to prevent the candle from overheating.
Keep It In Your Sight
Never leave a candle unattended. Even if you step away for a couple of minutes, you never know what could happen. Fires can start within seconds, but if you are near the candle, you can prevent serious damage from happening.
Before you leave the room, be sure to extinguish the candle correctly. The safest way to do this is by using a candle snuffer or the lid of the candle. It’s common to blow the candle out, but that can also cause the hot wax to splatter.
Another way to extinguish a candle is by dipping the wick into the melted wax. This will prevent the wick from smoking, and it won’t result in the splattering of the hot wax.
Our candles at New Flame are the perfect candles to have around your home. We focus on creating powerful scents that will re-kindle meaningful memories. Not only that, but our candles are also made in Grasse, France (the fragrance capital of the world) with sustainably sourced and renewable ingredients. With 50 hours of burn time, you’ll fall in love with our luxury scented candles.